So many homes I go into have their furniture arranged the same way as the day they moved in.
“How do you feel about the sofa being against the wall and the chair over in this corner,” I ask
Typically the client answers “I know it doesn’t work but they’re like that because I had no idea how else to arrange the room.”
It’s a good thing when a client realizes they need to consult a professional.
Please don’t arrange your family room like this!
Tips To Arrange Your Family Room
- Pull furniture away from the wall.
- Arrange furniture in close proximity for easy conversing.
- Center seating pieces around a focal point, or two.
- Provide a table or flat surface (tray on an ottoman) for each seat, someplace to put down a beverage.
- Very small occasional tables or a plant stand may be all a chair needs at their side.
- Be sure there is enough room to walk around without tripping over things.
- Buy furniture that fits the scale of the room. Think Goldilocks – not too large or not too small – you want “just right”.
- Fill in the empty spots and corners with interesting accessories or plants.
- Consider swivel chairs for flexibility.
- Have just enough seats for the number of people you typically entertain, not enough for the crowd you have at the holidays.
- Ottomans are multi-purpose. They’re an extra seat when company arrives to watch the big game. Ottomans function as a table surface when a tray is added.
- Buy two love seats instead of a large sofa unless someone wants to lie down. Love seats are better for conversation and are more flexible.
- Please do not buy a furniture “set”. Mix and match pieces but please keep style consistent.
- Buy your largest pieces, and biggest investment, in a durable solid textured fabric or leather.
- Anchor the sitting area with a rug, again, not too small or too large.
- Change out pillows and accessories as the seasons and trends change.
The warm and cozy way to arrange your family room furniture
Look how pleasant and comfortable this layout is. The love seats angle towards the fireplace. The pair of chairs is at each side so conversation is easy. Pillows in a warm red replace the blue ones. A throw for extra snuggling is draping over the arm of one of the love seats. For lower back comfort, small rectangular pillows are on the chairs. Books and fresh flowers bring in the warm homey feel. A large tree fills a vacant corner.
You won’t want to miss more tips on adding warmth to your home here.
A little rearranging and the addition of a few accessories transform the room for Fall and Winter.
Are you happy with the layout of your family room?
We can easily change that!
Contact me today, I will guide you in the best decision to make your house into a home you love to live in.
Hiring a professional saves you time, frustration and money.
You, your family, your house and office deserve it!